The Burns Opera House/Chief Theater
The grand Burns Opera Theater, built in 1912, was a monument to the Cripple Creek fortune of its owner Jimmy Burns. The ornate auditorium replete with cherubs and green velvet seats could fit 1,500. In 1973, in disrepair, it was knocked down to make way for a parking lot.
These photos came to us from Bill and Cheryl Conrod. They were found in their Elks Lodge Home built in 1913. Even though the Burns Theater has been demolished, we can still enjoy these haunting images of the lost grandeur that reflected the heart of our early citizens.
Burns Theater #1
Burns Theater #2
Burns Theater #3
Burns Theater #4
Burns Theater #5
Burns Theater #6
This project is partially funded by a State Historic Fund grant awarded from the Colorado Historical Society.