Summer 2016 Tour #7

Victorian Mansions
August 18th at 6:30 pm

ADDRESS: Tour will begin at the Jewett Mansion, 1515 N. Cascade Avenue,  continue  to the Sharp Mansion, 1600 N. Cascade Ave., and end at the Hager House, 1308 N. Cascade Ave.

PARKING: Plenty of neighborhood street parking  along Cascade Ave. and side streets.

TOUR GUIDES: Norman Sauppe, First Lutheran Church Photographer and Webmaster, AV Specialist.
Gordon Anderson, Professional Photographer.  Mr. Anderson  was the photographer for HPA’s book,  Historic Homes  of Colorado Springs  and Vicinity, authored by his mother, Helen Anderson.

TOUR COORDINATOR: John Haney

THE TOUR:

Victorian Mansions of the Old Northend

Our tour will begin at the Jewett Mansion,  1515 N. Cascade Avenue. The  Jewett Mansion  was constructed in 1902 for William K. and Patty Jewett.  The  Mediterranean  structure displays Italian Renaissance characteristics, and  has marble fireplaces and parquet floors inside. It is currently  owned by First Lutheran  Church  and is used for their activities. We continue our tour at the Sharp Mansion, 1600 N. Cascade Ave., originally built in 1913 for Arthur G. and Louise Sharp. This  magnificent  home  is an eclectic blend  of Mediterranean  and Craftsman  styles  with Jacobean details. The inside features fireplaces with Van Briggle tiles, a billiard room,  and a large second-story porch.

We will end our evening at the Hager House, 1308 N. Cascade Ave. The Hager House was built in 1905 for Wilford M. and Clarisa Hager.  The mansion’s buff-colored bricks were hauled from Pennsylvania, where the Hager’s were from.  The original slate roof came from Vermont.  The house contains oak hardwood floors in the public rooms, and maple flooring in the kitchen.

Handicapped Accessible: Stairs with no elevators in all homes.

Restrooms: In the Jewett Mansion only.

HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE: Yes

RESTROOM FACILITIES: Yes

COST: Free to HPA Members
Non-Members $15

If you have questions about this tour, contact:
Sherry L. Neese, Program Chair
Tel: (Evenings)719.638.0166, (Cell) 719.648.4377

 


This project is partially funded by a State Historic Fund grant awarded from the Colorado Historical Society.