This two part building was associated for more than sixty years with the ice and coal business in Colorado Springs, and later as a creamery.
The taller brick corner section was used for cold storage; the stone wing to the north contained freezing tanks, ice storage and boilers with tall chimneys. W. M. Banning was proprietor in 1910; his daughter, Ruth Banning took over as manager after his death in 1914. Dividing responsibilities between the Ice and Coal Company and the Banning family ranch south of Colorado Springs, she married Raymond "Pinky" Lewis in 1921. Their holdings eventually grew to encompass nearly 40,000 acres.