2019 CALENDAR of the HISTORIC PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF COLORADO SPRINGS
Celebrating our 20th Anniversary! Please check back here often to confirm event times, locations and details. We look forward to seeing you, your family and friends.
Questions: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Membership Meeting: January 10, 2019. 6:00 registration. 6:30 p.m. program. Free and open to all HPA members, and incoming members. First Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, lower level, 1515 N. Cascade. Special guest presenter: Anna Cordova, Archaeologist, City of Colorado Springs. Refreshments. (Note: one new board member position will be voted on by the membership.)
Winter Lecture Series trio will be held at the historic Penrose House, 1661 Mesa Ave. 6:00 registration. 6:30 presentation begins. SPACE IS LIMITED. We suggest early arrival.
• February 14 – Winter Lecture Series I, Penrose House. Presentation: “Julie and Spencer Penrose”
• March 21 – Winter Lecture Series II, Penrose House. Presentation: “The Tutt Family”
• April 4 – Winter Lecture Series III, Penrose House. Presentation: “The Penrose Legacy” (Includes a special tour of the Penrose House beginning at 5:00 p.m. Space limited to 30 people. RSVP required to AL Rohr in advance: 719.641.1542
• May 3 – 2nd Annual Pikes Peak Preservation Forum. All day conference on historic preservation. Grace and St. Stephens Church, 601 N. Tejon. Sponsorships are available.
• May 25 – Preservation Month Lecture/Walking Tour: Discover the Historic Patty Jewett Neighborhood! With Historian Tim Scanlon. 10:00 a.m., First Lutheran Church, North Cascade. Lecture will be following by a guided walking tour of the historic neighborhood. Event will conclude at the Patty Jewett Clubhouse. • June 1 – Motor coach Field Trip to historic Boulder. All day. Paid advance reservations will be required. Details to be announced.
SUMMER TOURS! 6:00 p.m. registration, 6:30 tours begin. Walking shoes, water, cameras and outdoor gear for unpredictable Colorado evenings are strongly urged. (Optional – a small flashlight come in handy for later evening events.)
- July 10 – WEDNESDAY TOUR (note the exception to our regular Thursday evenings): Old Trolley Barn. Start at 515 S. Cascade, end at Trolley Barn at 706 S. Sierra Madre St.
- July 18 – The Penrose Heritage Museum, 11 Lake Circle
- July 25 – Historic All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, (1893). 730 N. Tejon.
- August 1 – Fairview Cemetery ($10 donation encouraged, optional) West side, 26th and Erich St., (west of Highway 24)
- August 8 – La Foret Conference and Retreat Center, Black Forest. 6145 Shoup Rd. (National Register of Historic Places)
- August 15 – Historic Day Nursery, Colorado Springs, (1923). 104 E. Rio Grande St., National Register of Historic Places
- August 22 – Dr. Henry & Marjorie Palmer Watt Residence, (1908). Carriage House and Gardens. 1801-1825 Culebra St.,
- August 29 – Alexander House, (1906). 1830 N. Wood Ave., Designed by Architect Thomas MacLaren.
• September 12 – Award nomination deadline to the HPA
• October 4 – Awards advisers site visits – all day
• October 16th – (Tentative date!) Wednesday evening – 18th Annual Awards Gala. Location to be announced. 5:30 Conversation and Cocktails. 6:30 program and dinner.
Special Regional Events:
- February 4-7 – Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s Saving Places Conference, Sheraton Downtown Denver Hotel
- October 8-12 – PastForward – the National Preservation Conference, Denver
- Workdays to be announced at Harlan Wolfe House and Tahama Spring!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________2019 Board of Directors Meetings: Held every 4th Wednesday evening, beginning at 6:00. Locations vary. Topic: Board business.
• January 23
• February 27
• March 27
• April 24
• May 22
• June 26
• July (No board meeting)
• August 28
• September 25
• October 23
• November 20
• December (No board meeting)