This tour is now at full capacity. We encourage you to check out the remaining Summer Tours!
Check in at 5:30 – Check in will be in the lobby at the North entrance of the Church.
Tours start at 6:00 and will last approximately 2 hours.
The tour is free for all HPA Members. The non HPA members may attend for a voluntary donation of $10 If you are not a member, we encourage you to click here to renew or join the HPA.
A waiver must be signed proceeding the tour. You can download a copy here, sign and bring it with you or HPA will have copies at the check-in desk upon arrival.
Ciera Holst will be providing the Church history starting in 1871 thru the present.
This is a little bit of the history in its 1st year.
- The beginning of the First United Methodist Church in Colorado Springs started as the first
- Sunday school which was organized in Mrs. Palmer’s school room at the NE corner of Bijou St. and Cascade Ave., December 10, 1871.
- Rev. W.F. Warren (Methodist minister), was the chairman, Mr Loring the superintendent, and J.B. Rayner the secretary. All were Methodists.
- The First Methodist Church was also organized in December of 1871 and met in Warner’s Boarding House.
- The Church was formed by Rev. W.F. Warren with 12 members, some from his church in Colorado City, and others who had moved to Colorado Springs. In January 1872 they moved their services to Foote Hall.
- The First United Methodist Church continues today with a strong emphasis on preaching, music and mission involvement.
Address: 420 N. Nevada Ave. Colorado Springs
Parking: There is parking at the North entrance to the First United Methodist Church along with a large parking lot on the northside of E. Saint Vrain St. Meter parking is not needed for this tour.
Disabled Access: Yes
HPA Coordinators: Ron and Sue Harman Tour Guide: Ciera Holst